The original Port of Warrenpoint, consisting of a wet dock and piers, was constructed in the late 1770’s by Roger Hall, Robert Ross and Isaac Corry with the assistance of £500 of public funds. In 1919 the heirs of Roger Hall sold the Port to John Kelly and Sons for the sum of £16,000. John Kelly continued to operate the Port until 1971 when it was sold to Warrenpoint Harbour Authority for £369,000.
The Port was substantially enlarged with an initial total investment of approximately £6.7million to create the modern Port. Until 1971 Warrenpoint Port acted as a lightering port for the Port of Newry and jointly these ports handled approximately half a million tonnes of cargo annually. Subsequently the modern Warrenpoint Port has handled five times as much cargo on an annual basis.
The Port has seven operational berths capable of handling up to 7.5m before tidal influence. The Port’s Ro/Ro Ramp is 39m long, 27 metres wide with a design loading of 120 tonnes, capable of accommodating vessels up to 25 metres beam.